''GlobalCollect combines a world-class payment technology with a strongly committed and knowledgeable team. We use them as our main payment service provider and they have been key in helping Despegar to improve the customer payment experience as well as to streamline the fulfilment process.''
Martin Rastellino, COO
Founded in 1999, Despegar has grown into the leading one-stop-shop online travel agency (OTA) in Latin America for leisure and corporate travel, offering access to more than 500 airlines, 70 car rental agencies, thousands of leisure packages, as well as up to 100,000 hotels worldwide via Hotels Despegar.com.
Despegar currently operates 12 offices across Latin America to serve customers locally.
The Challenge – Entering Brazil
Brazil, being one of the largest markets in Latin America with strong economic growth and a very ecommerce-oriented consumer base, is one of the key countries for Despegar’s continued success.
As in other countries across the world, it is crucial to offer local payment methods in Brazil in order to boost conversion rates. For ecommerce merchants, offering access to alternative payment methods is of growing importance. However, different acquirers have different capabilities so it is important to have contractual relations with all of them.
- Ecommerce markets in the US and Europe are easier to enter as there is already an established infrastructure to support international business.
- In Latin America, ecommerce is growing, but still at a much earlier stage. As a consequence, credit card rejections are much higher than in more mature markets and fraud charge backs a real issue.
While Brazil is the most mature ecommerce market in Latin America, it is also highly regulated, creating an additional layer of complexity in an already fragmented payment landscape.
- The need to offer localized payment methods, accommodate instalment payments, and have efficient information systems for the reconciliation process in place add to the challenges.
- Due to the nature of its business, Despegar also has to be able to confirm transactions immediately since flights, hotels, rental cars etc. are being booked in real time.
- Finally, due to the high transaction volume, they need an automated reporting and reconciliation tool.
- The GlobalCollect WebCollect solution is a proven, scalable, industry-leading and certified payment platform enabling an unrivalled range of both card-based and alternative payment solutions through a hosted or fully outsourced environment.
- A dedicated team of professionals covering key functions such as account management, technical presales, service management, project implementation and client accounting.
- GlobalCollect services for travel merchants, covering payment optimization and increased efficiency using our extensive data pool offering trends, benchmarks and productivity scenarios in the travel business.
Despegar partnered with GlobalCollect in August 2010 to help standardize its e-payment process and streamline operations across the different countries in which Despegar operates. Since then, GlobalCollect’s involvement has gone from counseling on local payment preferences to building relationships with local partners to helping implement customized solutions.
GlobalCollect’s new Business Intelligence solution will leverage the wealth of historical data to provide easily consumable visualizations of business critical, actionable information that Despegar can use on a daily basis to effect their own changes to their system to increase conversion rates and ensure the ever-increasing success of their business.
To download this case study click here.
About GlobalCollectGlobalCollect, part of Ingenico Group (Euronext: FR0000125346 - ING), is the most knowledgeable global Payment Service Provider in the world. The company processes international eCommerce payments for more than 600 of the world’s most recognized eCommerce brands in the digital goods and services, travel, retail and video gaming industries, among many others.
With two decades of payments experience, we enable our clients to efficiently and securely accept payments from more than 170 countries in more than 150 currencies. We offer in excess of 150 local payment methods, including all major credit cards, debit cards and alternative payment methods, giving unparalleled coverage throughout all global regions. Our robust and redundant systems guarantee our customers high availability and reliability. GlobalCollect’s business intelligence tools, Managed Fraud Services and more than 400 payments experts help our clients elevate their payment strategies to become a strategic asset to their companies.
GlobalCollect is a 100% subsidiary of Ingenico Group, global leader in seamless payment. Headquartered in Amsterdam, GlobalCollect has regional offices in North America, Asia Pacific, South America and the EU focused on bringing local presence with global reach and services to our clients. For more information please visit: http://www.globalcollect.com or http://www.ingenico.com